[Yanel-usage] uploading to a web server, how ?

Bård Grape bard at grapefilm.com
Sun Jan 12 17:44:53 CET 2014

Den 2014-01-10 21:01, skrev Michael Wechner:
> Am 10.01.14 00:14, schrieb bard at grapefilm.com:
>
>> Thanks Michael again for your feedback!
>>
>> push and pull via git sounds ideal or what would snowden say to that
>> :-) I mean the git just seems to access my computer directly ?
>
>  not if you use something like github. In the case of github it means,
> that when you push, the changes will go to github,
>  which means somebody else (for example us) can pull it from there. If
> you make your content open source, then github will be for free, if
> not, then it would be starting at USD 7 per month
>
>  https://github.com/pricing [1]

so it's free when the build is transparent on github yes
and the private repositories are there for those who want to protect
their code ?

When you say content you mean the build I guess,
For me usually it's the media files I want to publish
Would I push those sometimes big files too via git (except when I just
link to vimeo/youtube) ?

>> What do you charge for hosting ?
>
>  we are not a hosting company ourselves, but depending on what your
> requirements (space, etc.) are we would either "add" your realm to our
> own Yanel instance, which would probably be around USD 5-10 per month
> or if you need more space and power, rent a dedicated virtiual server
> at linode for USD 20, which would be owned by yourself completely
>
>  https://www.linode.com/ [2]
>
>  Hence in total (github and Tomcat/Virtual Server) it would be around
> USD 12 to USD 27 per month
>
>> My current apache 2.2-- gives me 5 gig at a very reasonable rate.
>
>  how much do you currently pay?

60 euros a year inc vat

>> I am looking towards the possibility to run live videostreams in the
>> future - is tomcat right for that ?
>
>  it depends what exactly you mean with videostreams? You mean kind of
> youtube, vimeo? Or that while your record people can watch?

like a live transmission

>> Does the linode technology mean that the site wil be mirrored on
>> several servers around the world ?
>  Kind of, because the servers are virtual, I guess these are mirrored
> on the backend somehow, but I don't think linode gives a guarantee.
> But if you keep the content inside github, then you will have it
> mirrored anyway, because it will be on at least three physical
> locations:
>
>  - Your laptop
>  - github
>  - hosting provider (e.g. linode)
>
>  I think this will make it quite safe ;-)

Safety seems to be an important part of what you do building Yanel!

What is next step if I want to go ahead and use your web server via git?

cheers from the arctic !

Bard

--
Bård Grape, Fotograf og produsent