[Yanel-usage] Performance of i18n implementation

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Apr 2 11:09:33 CEST 2008

Josias Thöny wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> It seems to me that the i18n transformer works very fine, but I have
>> noticed that the i18n transformer notices changes within the XML
>> configuration on the fly. Is it checking the last modified with every
>> request or how is this implemented?
>

> It's parsing the i18n file again for each request. This is bad of
> course and should be improved.
> To implement a last-modified check is not that easy because a message
> catalogue is loaded via SourceResolver and the Source [1] interface
> doesn't have a getLastModified() method. Maybe we have to extend the
> Source interface or use something like excalibur Source [2].

I think that would make sense.

Also I think it would be nice to make the getLastModified() check
configurable, such that when it set to false, then the i18n configs are
only loaded at startup of the server.

> josias
>
> [1]
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/xml/transform/Source.html
> [2]
> http://excalibur.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/excalibur/source/Source.html
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Michi

Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner at wyona.com, michi at apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61