[Yanel-dev] Migrating from Java 8 to Java 9 - Base 64

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Mon Mar 5 09:02:39 EST 2018

Dear Balz

Am 05.03.18 um 10:18 schrieb basZero:
> Dear Michael,
>
> sounds good, but can you explain the reason why you upgrade to Java 9?
> I think it only makes sense to upgrade, if you also upgrade to Tomcat
> 9 (see http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html )

Because the laptop of my son is using Java 9 :-)

> If somebody runs Yanel on Tomcat 8, Yanel won't work anymore.

why not? I am not sure anymore whether you mentioned that before, but if
so, can you tell me once again.

> In general, I'd appreciate a lot if Yanel would provide a branch for
> each tomcat version.
> The master branch will still (as today) contain the very latest code
> and yanel users can choose what they want.
>
> So before you make the upgrade, please create a branch tomcat8 (or
> something like that) so that the current tomcat8 version before your
> upgrade is still easily available in future

The only difference will be the Base64 implementation inside
YanelServlet, so I think it will be backwards compatible.

I will make a branch first anyway and let you know, such that you can
test it as well.

All the best