[Yanel-dev] Filtering search bots

Balz Schreier balz.schreier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:54:56 CET 2011

first of all this only matters if you store a lot of data in the session.

if you do, it certainly hurts and is waisting memory consumption for
nothing.
in such a case, it would make sense to check the user-agent in the request
header.
if it matches a bot-value provided by a configurable agent-list, the request
would be associated with a dummy session.
all requests that would match would be associated with that session and
therefore would not create a new one.

the risk here is only that if the request matches but is actually a real
user request, strange things will happen for all users sharing the same
session :-)