Updater refreshed [WAS: Re: [Yanel-dev] [RFC] yanel updater proposal]

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Sep 2 14:56:17 CEST 2009

Hi

Today we had another discussion re the updater during lunch and I would
to like share some ideas:

1) At the moment one can trigger the "check for updates" by clicking on
the URL
        http://127.0.0.1:8080/yanel/update-webapp.html
  which is part of the welcome realm.
  Well, this realm is sometimes not installed and also it means people
have to click on it actively.
  So we think it would be good if Yanel could during startup trigger the
"check for updates"
  within a separate thread (in case the connection does not work or is
bad) and either
  send an email to some administrator and log within a dedicated log4j file.
  (The question here is where shall one enter an email address and a
SMTP hostname)
 Basically we would have three kind of "notifications":
      - Web Browser Page
      - Log4j file
      - E-Mail

2) The check during startup is similar to a heartbeat, which probably
some people don't like
   and hence it needs to be configurable such that one can turn it off
   Also one needs to be aware, that www.yanel.org (or Wyona) is saving
this requested data in order to analyze which
  versions are currently active out in the world and be able to react to
people who use Yanel, whereas this
  of course would require some privacy policy

3) Currently we only have a plan on how to upgrade/downgrade Yanel, but
not realms or resources.
    This is definitely something which we need to discuss further as well