[Yanel-dev] Associate language versions

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Mar 21 14:53:57 CET 2007

Josias Thöny wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In order to build a navigation framework, we need a way to associate
> the different language versions of a page. I.e. for each language
> version of a page we need to know how to get the other language versions.
>
> There seem to be the following three possibilities:
>
> 1. Links to language versions in meta data of each language version
> e.g. meta data of search.html points to suche.html and vice versa (use
> uuids).
> Problems:
> - knowledge duplication
> - when adding/removing a language version, the meta of all other
> versions has to be updated
> - meta data not implemented yet
>
> 2. Common meta data with links to each language version
> meta data refers to a common "language-cluster" meta data, which
> refers to all language versions.
> Problems:
> - extra meta file needed
> - meta data not implemented yet

could we use this for something else? I mean is there any other data
being shared by all languages?

> 3. Sitetree
> the sitetree refers to the different language versions of a node.
> Problems:
> - maybe language versions should be orthogonal to sitetree
> - sitetree not really integrated yet (new pages are not automatically
> added to sitetree)

Please note that the "realm navigation" (not the realm navigation) does
not have to contain all pages and hence I think cannot be used.

> WDYT?
>
> I don't know which option would be the best one. To me the lenya
> approach (tight coupling of language versions, encoding the language
> in the url) seems to be much easier to handle...

true, but not what our "users" want ;-) hence I think we either need to
implement (1) or (2).
I recently had another presentation and people were asking explicitely
for decoupling language from the URL.

I know it's a challenge, but isn't that great :-) (I know I sound like
one of the british officers in "River Kwai" ;-)