[Yanel-usage] The Discussion Continues...

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Jun 21 16:48:05 CEST 2013

Dear Darius

Am 19.06.13 14:06, schrieb Darius Miliauskas:
> Dear All,
>
> trying to collect from various emails and fill the gaps (opened
> questions) which are left during the conversations from the last weeks:
>
> 1) cheat-sheet
> git - get the list of the most commonly used commands
> git checkout README.txt - reset to the original version of README.txt
> git pull - update the documentation
> git clone - transfer it to the new directory
>
> e. g. after using "git checkout README.txt" "git pull" worked great.
> README.txt was updated.

good

> 2)
>
> "Which improvement to describe in
> https://github.com/wyona/yanel/issues? Do you mean the one with the
> message in the browser or the one when I mistyped "./build.sh
> quick-start"? Or the one that "quick-start" does not precisely carries
> the meaning of installing Yanel?"
>
> that if someone is typing build.sh or yanel.sh without any arguments,
> that then these shell scripts will tell you which arguments are
> possible and what they are used for.
>
> It doesn't work as you described. When I put "yanel.sh" or "build.sh",
> I get the messages:
>
> "-bash: yanel.sh: command not found"
>
> or
>
> "-bash: build.sh: command not found".

on Mac OS X using bash one has to type "./" ahead of a shell script,
e.g. "./build.sh" in order to run it, but I think that was not your
question.  Maybe it makes sense to discuss the actual question instead
how to execute a shell script on the command line....

> 3)
>
> "3) Yanel was not correctly installed, therefore, I couldn't start and
> run it. The last sentence just describe the practical pattern which
> the user experiences. He open my browser ("Safari"), type
> "http://127.0.0.1:8080/yanel/" in the address bar, and got the certain
> message on his browser. I add the screen shot as the attachment to
> explain what I meant."
>

> but from the screenshot it seems like you didn't enter the port 8080
> and the yanel prefix.
>

> yes, I did not add the port 8080 and the prefix "yanel" because I
> wanted just to illustrate the message during the installation. But
> Yanel was already installed in my computer, so, I just typed without
> the port and the prefix in order to get the similar message.

I still don't get your point. Can you re-phrase your point from scratch?

> 4) You can use "yanel" command as, for example, "git" instead of
> typing "/./build.sh/". I do not know whether such replacement is
> possible, and how to make it. Do you get?
>
> no, I don't understand. Do you mean that there is only one shell
> script called yanel.sh instead build.sh and yanel.sh ?
>

> It was about the usage of the word "yanel" as a command. I just want
> to ask you several questions to get your meaning. What is the "git"?
> It is a command or an argument? I think it is a command.

yanel.sh is a shell script to start and stop Yanel. I still don't know
what is unclear about that?
It seems to me that you first have to learn some basics of
UNIX/Linux/Mac OS X....

Best wishes

Michael