[Yanel-usage] Tomcat and Sticky Sessions

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Feb 9 22:59:57 CET 2011

On 2/9/11 12:21 PM, Cedric Staub wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 11:14:20AM +0000, Michael Wechner wrote:
>> IIRC we are using mod_balance together with mod_proxy on the wyona.com
>> website and
>> we don't have the issues you are describing above.
> Yeah, I just switched to mod_proxy and it's so much nicer.

glad to hear, although this is good and bad, because I was actually
hoping that mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp
might be better than mod_proxy_http:

http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2010/06/16/deciding-between-modjk-modproxyhttp-and-modproxyajp

which one exactly were you actually using?
>> Thinking about not being sticky it shouldn't be a problem though,
>> because actually
>> the sessions should be serialized at any change and hence you should not
>> loose your session when
>> swapped from one node to the other. But maybe that's just theory ;-)
> That doesn't work. The JSESSIONID contains the jvmRoute (e.g. cnode1).
>  From what I tried it looks like Tomcat discards cookies automatically if
> the jvmRoute doesn't match... E.g., if I send JSESSIONID=XYZ.cnode1 to
> another node that node will send me a new JSESSIONID.

ok, I need to check this again, because I don't remember that this
didn't work for me,
but wouldn't bet ;-)
> But alas, mod_proxy works now :)
>
> I wonder if mod_proxy is faster than the tomcat connector. Perhaps I
> should re-run my JMeter tests.

please let us know your results :-)
> BTW: I'm also working on a stress-test involving concurrent writing.

that would be very good.