[Yanel-usage] [Fwd: More on Docbook, protocols, & CSS]

Mike Weiss autonomicpilot at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 17:27:11 CEST 2008

-------- Original Message --------
From: 	- Mon May 26 11:23:35 2008
Date: 	Mon, 26 May 2008 11:23:28 -0400
From: 	Mike Weiss <autonomicpilot at yahoo.com>
To: 	yanel-usage at wyona.com
Subject: 	More on Docbook, protocols, & CSS

yanel-usage-request at wyona.com wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 07:49:34 +0200
> From: Michael Wechner <michael.wechner at wyona.com>
> Subject: Re: [Yanel-usage] More on Docbook Xinclude
> To: yanel-usage at wyona.com
>
> simon litwan wrote:
>

>> Mike W schrieb:
>>

>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Looks like the "VERSION" reference in the error below indicates that
>>> the transform is failing at the first Xinclude in the XSL file. That
>>> reference had a relative path ("../VERSION") so I commented it out
>>> and it failed on the next Xinclude which was in the current directory
>>> ("param.xsl). So it looks like there is a problem with Xincludes? The
>>> Docbook XSL has a lot of them...
>>>
>> hi mike
>>
>> not sure i'm on the right track, but.
>> first i think the problem are the relative path. to what are they
>> relative. where do you store the files this references are pointing
>> to. you could store them in your realms data-repo for now.
>>
>> maybe it would make sense in the future to make a docbook
>> resource-type which then could contain the files the xsl is including.
>>

> agreed, whereas one could extend the XML resource and not much
> programming would be required

A good idea but there is a problem...the DB XSL does get updated from
time to time and therefore it would be better to detach the XSL. The
ability to plug in the XSL without having to change the <xsl:include>
statements would be even best-- in other words, removing the need for a
protocol. Most DB-XSL implementations (ant pipelines, etc) use a
"customization layer" that enables the user to leave the XSL untouched,
only modifying the customization files.

>> but for now just put them in the data-repo of your realm.
>>
>> then you need to add a protocol scheme in front of the xinclude path.
>>

> I don't think so, because if you don't specify a scheme it will fallback
> to yanelrepo:/
>

>> if you store the files your xsl is including within the data-repo of
>> your realm the files will be accessible via the yanelrepo:/ schema.
>>
>> BTW i couldn't find the docu regarding source protocols. is there one?
>>

> yes, at
>
> http://documentation.yanel.wyona.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Unstructured%20Points
>
> Different schemes to access repository
> <http://documentation.yanel.wyona.org/Edit.jsp?page=Different%20schemes%20to%20access%20repository>
> There are several ways to access data within Yanel:
>
>    1. Through the URL that will finally to a resource configuration:
>       http://.../yanel/myrealm/index.html -> index.html.yanel-rc
>    2. Through *yanelresource* scheme that allows to bypass HTTP:
>       yanelresource:/index.html -> index.html.yanel.rc
>    3. Through *yanelrepo* scheme that directly accesses the repository:
>       yanelrepo:/index.html -> /data/index.html
>    4. Through *yanelrepo* scheme that directly accesses the repository:
>       yanelrepo:REALM_ID:/index.html -> /data/index.html
>    5. Through *yanelrepo* scheme that directly accesses the repository:
>       yanelrepo:REALM_ID:REPO_ID:/index.html -> /data/index.html
>

>> otherwise we have to add something about the protocol scheme to the docu.
>>

> it would be great to merge this into the website documentation. Would
> you, could you ;-) ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Michael

Michael, if you're talking to me here...that's no problem, just set me
up with what I need and I will add this to the web documentation. I will
also re-org and update content as I learn more and as I have time
available in the coming months.

At this point I have been unable to render DB XSL in Yanel or Yulup.
Even when it (eventually) becomes possible, it will take an
extraordinary amount of time to render on-the-fly in either tool. So it
occured to me...is it or would it be possible to render DB using CSS
directly? I've read that most browsers are capable of this now. CSS
would be a good intermediary for editing, while a pipeline could be used
later for generating XHTML, PDF using XSL.