[Yanel-dev] Upgrading Lucene

basZero baszero at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 11:02:52 EDT 2017

Hurray!!!
I proposed the same thing in 2013:
https://github.com/wyona/yarep/issues/6

It would be great to see Lucene 6 in yanel.

Regarding source code repository of yanel/yarep etc., here my thought:
- I would create a new branch "lucene2.9.2" in all repositories of the
current latest status. This way, people who want to work with this latest
version and lucene 2.9.2 can still get the code very easily.
- The master branch would then be upgraded to use Lucene 6.

Some other remarks:
- Lucene 6 runs on Java 1.8 or later. So make sure all old dependencies are
upgraded as well! (in all repositories like yarep, security etc.)
- The index of 2.9.2 won't be compatible, Lucene only guarantees
compatibility within the same major release (e.g. 6.0.0 and 6.6.0 will have
the same index format).

The upgrade must be done carefully, because I currently don't see what
libraries Lucene is depending on (e.g. Log4j, apache commons stuff...), I
assume that many libs currently in yanel (which are out of date) will have
to be upgraded as well. Example: yanel uses log4j 2.0 beta8 ... Lucene 6
will most probably not use a beta version :-) so an upgrade to log4j 2.5 is
most probably required.

Cheers, Balz