[Yanel-dev] Using MathJax to render Latex snippets inside XHTML

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Jan 24 10:00:14 CET 2014

Hi

I recently learned about

http://www.mathjax.org/

which is really great to render Latex snipppets inside XHTML, e.g.

We study sparse principal components analysis in high dimensions, where
$p$ (the number of variables) can be much larger than $n$ (the number of
observations), and analyze the problem of estimating the subspace
spanned by the principal eigenvectors of the population covariance
matrix. We introduce two complementary notions of $\ell_{q}$ subspace
sparsity: row sparsity and column sparsity. We prove nonasymptotic lower
and upper bounds on the minimax subspace estimation error for $0\leq
q\leq1$. The bounds are optimal for row sparse subspaces and nearly
optimal for column sparse subspaces, they apply to general classes of
covariance matrices, and they show that $\ell_{q}$ constrained estimates
can achieve optimal minimax rates without restrictive spiked covariance
conditions. Interestingly, the form of the rates matches known results
for sparse regression when the effective noise variance is defined
appropriately. Our proof employs a novel variational $\sin\Theta$
theorem that may be useful in other regularized spectral estimation
problems.

and as a result one will get something like

http://projecteuclid.org/euclid.aos/1388545673