[Yanel-dev] Slow loading of XML (Using BasicXMLResource)

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Sep 28 11:17:52 CEST 2012

Hi

I recently had some trouble because the loading of an XHTML was very
slow and never seemed to get delivered.

After some debugging I have realized that the XHTML was "missing" a dash
inside

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"

whereas the Yanel catalog rather expected

and hence the CatalogResolver started to resolve the DTD from the web,
which seemed to take forever.

Hence if you ever should experience a similar problem, then you might
want to check whether schemas get loaded from the web.

The way I found this out was doing the following steps:

- Using ngrep (or some other traffic monitor/sniffer) to check what gets
requested on port 80
- Increased the log-level/verbositry of CatalogResolver:
webapps/yanel/WEB-INF/classes/CatalogManager.properties
- Re-started Yanel
- Tailed the Tomcat log file:  tail -F Tomcat/logs/catalina.out

HTH