[Yanel-dev] Performance Thoughts about XSLT

basZero baszero at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:43:41 CET 2012

dear all,

I wonder the following and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about it:

When creating a resource which is subclassed of Yanel's BasicXMLResource,
the following happens:

- getView() gets called by Yanel
- then the resource's getContentXML() gets called: here you prepare the XML
document that at the end is passed to the XSL transformation
- getTransformedInputStream() gets called: here the actual XSLT is
performed.

I wonder the following regarding performance:

- the XSLT process includes the transformation of XSL files into Java
template objects.
- The creation of such template objects certainly takes time and is
probably done for every request

What can be done to reduce the time needed for the XSLT part of a request
time?

- Did anybody use precompiled templates (e.g.: the XSLT transformer only
compiles the XSL, if it has changed since the last compilation), I read
some articles about this pre-compilation topic which should boost the whole
XSLT time dramatically
- Split up include files into smaller ones?

Generally asking:
- Did you do anything specifically regarding performance of XSLT?
- If so, what did you apply?

Cheers
Balz