[Yanel-dev] New toolbar (using superfish) doesn't use full width re menu items on IE

Cedric Staub cedric.staub at wyona.com
Thu Jan 27 23:57:09 CET 2011

> This doesn't scale!
>
> So what can we do about this?

The first problem is that sending patches around by mail requires a lot
of work just to track the patches themselves, e.g. what they do, where
they apply, who wrote them and so forth. We need a tool that allows to
us/you to track patches consistently.

Now we just have Subversion and Bugzilla, but the developers have to do
all the bookkeeping. We generate patches in Subversion manually while
having to make sure we don't mix changesets from two different features
that are in concurrent development. Then submit them to Bugzilla, and if
the patch needs improvement re-generate it again. And if we want to test
a patch, download and apply it manually and so forth.

We need to optimize the workflow and reduce the bookkeeping. All of
those things should be automatic, the developer shouldn't have to spend
time on tedious tasks like this.

My suggestions:

1. Switch to a distributed version control system. That way the
development of new features can be split into "branches", allowing new
features to be developed in isolation which makes it easier to deal with
them. This also makes it easier to test new features from other
developers, because you can just test their branch while leaving your
code untouched.

2. Install a patch/issue tracker that integrates with the version
control system. This makes it possible to automatically link commits and
issues, discuss changes, perform code reviews, send pull requests, and
lots of other stuff.

I hope that's realistic enough ;-).

Just my two cents,
Cedric