[Yanel-dev] Generic exception handler

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Tue Jan 25 10:35:34 CET 2011

On 1/24/11 10:03 AM, Cedric Staub wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I wrote a resource called generic-exception-handler, which is called
> whenever an exception is thrown while a request is being processed.
> Yanel had this functionality built-in until now, but that made it
> impossible to overwrite the exception-handler with a custom version.
>
> With this extension it's possible to write your own custom exception
> handler and overwrite the generic exception handler's global resource
> config. That way you can get rid of the Yanel-specific error pages and
> install you own ones ;-).

thanks very much :-) Can you please add it to Bugzilla and I will try to
review it
shortly
> Note: The exception and stack trace are logged but not displayed in the
> browser. I don't feel the user needs to know the details of the inner
> workings of the application. The dev or sysadmin can just look at the
> logs anyway, and I feel stack traces are confusing to users.
>
> But what to others think? Stack trace: yes or no?

I understand that the stacktrace to the user can be odd, but on the
other hand some
users will copy/paste it and send it to some developer, which can be
useful, because
it might be a "one time" error which can be hard to find otherwise
within huge log-files.

Hence I would suggest that the  stacktrace is "extensible" (e.g. via
CSS/Javascript)

WDYT?