[Yanel-dev] User account names to lower case

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Tue Aug 16 11:52:07 CEST 2011

Hi

Sometimes users complain that they cannot login anymore. The reason for
this is sometimes, that these users registered with a lower case email
address, but later entered the "same" email address but with some upper
case characters (or the other way around), e.g.

michael.wechner at wyona.com
Michael.Wechner at wyona.com

"Some" Linux systems are able to differentiate between lower and upper
case in the filesystem, whereas Windows but also the regular Mac OS does
not.

This can lead to various issues .... but generally speaking I believe
that in the case of login names we should transform everything to lower
case anyway (for security reasons).

WDYT?

In case nobody objects we would change this, whereas we have a couple of
choices to do this, backwards compatible (introducing a new policy
manager) and not backwards compatible (changing the existing policy
manager), but more on that later...