[Yanel-dev] too many open files problem on VMWare Ubuntu

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Apr 1 13:06:04 CEST 2011

Hi

We are experiencing a "too many open files" problem on VMWare Ubuntu
when running the lucene re-indexing, whereas this is done on a mac and
if running the lucene re-indexing on Mac OS X everything is fine.

I could image that the VMWare Ubuntu is slow on the IO (because of the
various layers) and hence a "queue" of open files is established which
are not being closed fast enough and hence when the limit of Ubuntu is
reached it will "crash".

I guess we could increase this limit

#su root
#ulmit -n 1000000

but I don't think that's really solving the problem.

Anyway it's good to keep this in mind when using virtualization.