[Yanel-dev] Patch: Make toolbar replaceable

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Nov 5 09:57:41 CET 2010

Hi Rob

Thanks very much for your patch. This is a great improvement.
Please find my questions and comments inline below

On 11/4/10 7:28 PM, Rob Adamson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please could you have a look at the attached patch, which makes the
> whole Yanel toolbar configurable?

it looks good re compiling and backwards compatibility ;-) (at least the
various realms I have tested it so far)

> It re-uses the<menu>  entry in the realm configuration - if the class
> implements the new interface YanelToolbar, this is used, otherwise the
> DefaultYanelToolbar is used and the<menu>  entry is treated as a
> subclass of org.wyona.yanel.servlet.menu.Menu.

I guess this is done within

src/webapp/src/java/org/wyona/yanel/servlet/YanelHTMLUI#getYanelToolbar(Resource
resource)

right?

Maybe it would make sense to introduce a new tag called <toolbar/>, but
we can always do that later.
> I had to give YanelServlet.getIdentity public visibility  (previously
> it was package visibility).

I think that should be fine. Maybe we should move this into a utility
class before we commit it as public
and hence prevent  people using it from within the YanelServlet class
> Hopefully it is backward compatible.

so far it looks good, but will do some more testing.

I have three requests in order to commit the patch more easily:

1) Please change the formatting: 4 spaces instead 1 tab
2) Please add some javadoc to the new methods
3) Please create a simple minimal toolbar custom implementation for the
from-scratch-realm which we could
use as example:
https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yanel/trunk/src/realms/from-scratch-realm-template/src/java

to show the difference between the Default implementation and a custom
implementation

whereas one can build this with

./build.sh -f src/realms/from-scratch-realm-template/build.xml

whereas I have just added these files and directories, hence you would
have to do a "svn update" on your local setup.

Thanks very much

Michael