[Yanel-dev] running Canoo tests independently

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Wed Mar 31 10:05:45 CEST 2010

Hi!

Mehmet Birgi schrieb:
> Another (maybe less expensive) approach would be to group interdependent
> tests together. I have just done this for testing a part of an
> application for a customer project. I had to test creation, editing and
> deletion of a part of a website. The cleanest way to do this is
> obviously to create a test page first, then edit it, and then delete it,
> so that no "debris" is left over (except automatically created meta
> data, of course). These tests have to be executed in that order, or else

This "automatically created meta data" should in principle also be
deleted by the page deletion (except maybe harmless empty directory
metadata) I think.

> they will fail. What I did is basically:
>
> 1. write a separate test-XX.xml file for each test
>
> 2. write a file test-all-XXs.xml file, that calls those files as ant targets
>
> 3. integrate the test-all-XXs.xml in the test suite, and provide a
> target "test-XXs" to execute that test package.
>
> In this case, each of these tests can't be executed independently, but
> at least they can be executed as a package separate from the rest.

It's not clear to me if the test-XX.xml files remain at the end, or if
you just integrated them into this one single test-all-XXs.xml file.
Because, as running them independently probably won't work well unless
you know well what you are doing and which steps you already have run,
it would maybe be better if they were not too visible, e.g. defined as
Ant 'target' elements without 'description' attribute so that they do
not show up on `ant -projecthelp`/`build -p`.

Otherwise looks like a very fine approach to me, maybe you can point me
privately to the customer tests you are talking about, or even better
next time we add interdependent tests to Yanel we should try to use your
approach.

Cheers,
    Guillaume