[Yanel-dev] running Canoo tests independently

Mehmet Birgi mehmet.birgi at wyona.com
Mon Mar 29 11:55:47 CEST 2010

Another (maybe less expensive) approach would be to group interdependent
tests together. I have just done this for testing a part of an application
for a customer project. I had to test creation, editing and deletion of a
part of a website. The cleanest way to do this is obviously to create a test
page first, then edit it, and then delete it, so that no "debris" is left
over (except automatically created meta data, of course). These tests have
to be executed in that order, or else they will fail. What I did is
basically:

1. write a separate test-XX.xml file for each test

2. write a file test-all-XXs.xml file, that calls those files as ant targets

3. integrate the test-all-XXs.xml in the test suite, and provide a target
"test-XXs" to execute that test package.

In this case, each of these tests can't be executed independently, but at
least they can be executed as a package separate from the rest.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Michael Wechner <michael.wechner at wyona.com
> wrote:

> Guillaume D=E9flache wrote:
>

>> I really the explanation is pretty cryptic, I will try to come with more
>> concrete examples if there is some interest.
>>

> I think that would be best. Make a best practice example and point to it
> from the documentation:
>
> http://www.yanel.org/en/documentation/testing-framework.html
>
> Thanks
>
> Michi
>

>> The underpinning idea here is that making every test fully self-contained
>> is a lot of work (either lots of copy-paste or a very sophisticated
>> organization of test data) and may slow down the whole test suite so muc=
h it
>> will not be practically anyway.
>> So IMHO we have to find a middle ground if we want to keep adding more a=
nd
>> more end-to-end tests.
>>
>> HTH,
>>   Guillaume