[Yanel-dev] Doc update: Rapid development

Mehmet Birgi mehmet.birgi at wyona.com
Fri Mar 26 11:17:59 CET 2010

Thanks Michi for the suggestions. I am not sure what you meant by "custom
example", but here is the revised version so far:

Rapid Development of Components

When developing Yanel components, often there is no need to recompile
everything once a total build has been done. Components that can be built
separately are *webapp classes*, *resource classes* and *realms*.
Efficiently building webapp classes

Webapp classes are all classes that are under
{yanel.home}/src/webapp/src/java/org/wyona/yanel/servlet. In order to build
and test these classes efficiently, one can run:

{yanel.home}/build.sh compile-webapp copy-basic-webapp-libs
copy-webapp-files-to-tomcat-cluster-node1

instead of running the whole build process. This will build only the webapp
and redeploy it, and should reduce the waiting time from a couple of minutes
to a couple of seconds.
Efficiently building resource classes

Resource classes can be found in separate directories at several locations,
e.g.:

   - {yanel.home}/src/resources
   - {yanel.home}/src/contributions/resources
   - {yanel.home}src/realms/welcome-admin/yanel/resources
   - {yanel.home}src/realms/from-scratch-realm-template/res-types
   - {my.realm}res-types
   - etc...

These classes all have their own build.xml files, so to compile them
efficiently, one can run the build as

{yanel.home}/build.sh -f {path.to.resource.dir}/build.xml

instead of running the whole build process. Again, this will reduce the
building time significantly, as only the changed resource will be built.
Efficiently building single realms

In the same way as building resource classes, it is also possible to build
single realms after editing classes belonging to that realm:

{yanel.home}/build.sh -f {my.realm}/build.xml

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Michael Wechner <michael.wechner at wyona.com

-- =

Mehmet Birgi
www.wyona.com