[Yanel-dev] Stax libs within Java 1.6 and why can't we use them

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Thu Mar 11 20:09:56 CET 2010

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Hi

Hi!

> IIRC we override the stax libs within common/endorsed in particular for
> Java 1.6, but it is not clear
> to me why we don't actually use the ones which are part Java 1.6?

The whole point of this is that the libraries actually shipped with the
JRE may be much older than the versions you would like to use, or that
other libraries need as dependencies.
For example the Xalan provided with Java 1.4 stayed old and buggy for a
long time, and if you wanted a reasonable version you had to override it.
Also it allows to make sure that not updated JREs (e.g. 1.4.0 compared
to 1.4.2) can still work by forcing them to use newer libraries.

Now for StAX and Java 6 using very recent versions may indeed not matter
so much, and we may even be currently overriding with an older version
that the one that is shipped with the latest JRE 6 updates!

Also according to
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/standards/ we
probably should override StAX using the complete JAXP JAR: "these
technologies may be overridden only by providing a *complete* and newer
implementation of the Standalone Technology" [emphasis mine].

Finally I  am not sure how to tell Maven that the JRE provides some
versions of otherwise standalone libraries like xalan-2.*.jar,
xerces-2*.jar, jsr173.jar, stax-api.jar and that it should neither
download them nor include them in the compile and runtime classpaths.

HTH,
    Guillaume