[Yanel-dev] Re: Use of ImageMagick with Yanel/Yarep

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Jun 24 23:10:18 CEST 2010

Cedric Staub wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:47:02 +0200
> Mehmet Birgi <mehmet.birgi at wyona.com> wrote:
>

>> Question: is there a platform independent way to integrate this into
>> the Yanel build system?
>>

> I don't think there would be an easy way to do so, considering all the diffrent flavors of Linux/Unix that are out there and the various package managers that they use (for example, aptitude only works on Debian/Ubuntu systems). What you could probably do is check if ImageMagick is installed and if not print a warning message;

well, I would assume that im4java throws an exception

@Memo: What does the log-file say if ImageMagick is not installed?

>  that way the system administrator knows what he needs to do in order to fix it (figuring out how to install it should be the lesser problem).
>
> Of course, I'm no expert on the Yanel build system, so please correct me if I'm wrong ;-).

I don't think this has much to do with the Yanel build process generally
speaking. Especially if you are going
to deploy binaries, which you should on a productive system!

I think to improve the situation you have two options:

1)  Improve the "exception handling" of your resource type if ImageMagik
is not installed

2) Customize/enhance the build.xml of your resource type using
im4java/ImageMagik to output a warning
that ImageMagik could not be found, whereas this warning should be
ignorable, because the environment
on which you build your binaries might not have ImageMagik installed.

and of course documentation, documentation, documentation ;-)