[Yanel-dev] [FYI] build speed and GWT

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Wed Jan 20 13:32:52 CET 2010

Hi!

Since r47046, to simplify development of Google Web Toolkit-based
resource-types, one can choose to compile GWT code as part of the normal
resource-type build process, so that one does not have to commit
generated Javascript code. We did it for the "policymanager"
resource-type which is included by default in Yanel.

The problem is that the compilation step requires to download 2 new JARs
from the Maven central repo which together amount to 23 MB!

So you may experience a much longer build time the 1st time you rebuild
Yanel from that revision onwards, until these JARs get into your Maven
repo cache.

Also the GWT compilation itself is rather slow, so if you recompile
new-style GWT-based resource-type like "policymanager", either manually
or by rebuilding Yanel, it will take around 1 more minute to finish ATM.
We intend to allow skipping GWT compilation at some later point, in case
one does not need to work on the GWT code.

Cheers,
    Guillaume