[Yanel-dev] resource-creator and creation of resource-configuration

simon simon at 333.ch
Sat Jan 9 21:40:47 CET 2010

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> simon wrote:
>> hi all
>>
>> i'm developing a svg resource-type. have a look at
>> http://trac.yanel-contribution.3k3.org/wiki/svg
>> the resource configuration is done with configurable views within a
>> custom-config (like the BasicXMLResource).
>
> very cool :-)
BTW i also integrated svg-edit which is a cool browser based svg editor:
http://trac.yanel-contribution.3k3.org/wiki/svg-edit
soon i will have a online demo page.

> I would like to add a third-party resource type page to the yanel
> website where we can link such resource types as yours.
>
> Makes sense?
would be nice.
>> i implemented CreatableV2 to allow creation of an svg via
>> resource-creator. but the resource-creator is not able to create
>> custom-config. i think this is ok for now. but what i would like is
>> to disable creation of resource configuration at all.
>> e.g if CreatableV2.createRTIProperties(Request) returns null no
>> resource-configuration is created. this would be useful for resource
>> which are configured via rc-map.
>
> very much aggreed and I have the same itch ;-)
>
> The question is where would you expect this to be configured? Or just
> as you suggest above if null is returned?
the problem is null  is check and  just adds a RC without any
properties. i think is not really proper to change the null behavior.

>> an other solution would be to delegate the creation of the
>> resource-configuration to the resource. e.g. within CreatableV2
>> introduce a methode createRC(HttpServletRequest request).
>
> that would probably be the most elegant. I think the CreatableV2 is
> not released yet
after thinking some more time i really would prefer a methode
createRC(HttpServletRequest request).

> http://www.yanel.org/javadoc/org/wyona/yanel/core/api/attributes/CreatableV2.html
>

> but on the other hand it exists for quite some time now without any
> changes and hence I am afraid
> that people consider it realeased ...
i'm afraid as well. i would suggest to release CreatableV2 now as it is.
and introduce a new Creatable with the new method. unfortunately there
is already this CreatableV3. i guess it's not possible to introduce a
CreatableV2.1 right?

wouldn't it make sense to release the interfaces early and often?

cheers
simon