[Yanel-dev] Loading of users and groups as XML

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Feb 11 23:11:22 CET 2010

Guillaume Déflache wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Wechner schrieb:
>> Hi
>>
>> The PolicyManager resource
>>
>> src/contributions/resources/policymanager/src/java/org/wyona/yanel/impl/resources/policymanager/PolicyManagerResource.java
>>

>> is loading users and groups via the following query string
>>
>> /foo/bar?yanel.policy=update&get=identities
>>
>> which then is handled by the YanelServlet#doAccessPolicyRequest()
>>
>> first, but then forwarded again to the PolicyManager resource
>>
>> if (getXML != null && getXML.equals("identities")) {
>> sb.append(getIdentitiesAndRightsAsXML(getRealm().getIdentityManager(),
>> getRealm().getPolicyManager(), get
>> RequestedLanguage()));
>>
>> Now I would like to re-use this for editing users and groups, but it
>> seems to me that the main purpose of the policy manager
>> resource is to manage policies and not users and groups and hence I
>> think we should re-factor this by introducing a IdentityManagerResource.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I fully agree!
>
> I think we should put that under e.g. <yanel-prefix>/admin/groups and
> <yanel-prefix>/admin/users

sounds good

> Also why not using /foo/bar/yanel.usecase=read-policy (resp.
> update-policy) instead of /foo/bar?yanel.policy=read (resp. update)?

I don't remember why we did it this way, but I will try to remember.
In case we should change it, we need to be aware that this is a public
interface and hence we cannot just delete it, but rather set it
to deprecated.
> It goes in the way of allowing to fully split policy reading code from
> the PolicyManager, which would be also helpful IMHO, because you may
> want to reimplement both parts separately.

agreed, but I guess we have to do this within a second phase because of
time constraints.