[Yanel-dev] GWT 2.0 IE7 caveat: do not use com.google.gwt.xml.client.Element.getElementsByTagName("*")

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Apr 1 10:41:40 CEST 2010

Guillaume Déflache wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I had a hard time diagnosing this, so I'd better share it:
>
> At least on GWT 2.0 and IE7,
> com.google.gwt.xml.client.Element.getElementsByTagName("*") always
> returns an empty NodeList on IE, whereas it behaves as expected on
> e.g. Firefox, i.e. it return all child elements of the given element
> as per the DOM spec.

thanks very much for sharing this

> One would have though GWT would have isolated us from the browser
> peculiarities in their API as many JS libraries do, but apparently
> not! :/

I think GWT does try hard to make it work independently of the browser
and IIRC the GWT docs says sometimes explicitely
if something does not behave the same on every browser and I think it's
up to each of us to test our code as soon as possible,
such that we can recognize such issues from the very beginning. The
earlier we recognize issues, then easier the analysis
becomes at large.