[Yanel-dev] compatibility of resources

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Mon Sep 7 13:51:31 CEST 2009

Hi

Since Yanel is using versioned interfaces, Yanel core can detect if a
resource is compatible with the core or not,
whereas I think we should add such a "compatibility check" within the
startup process during registration of resources,
because at the moment it does this only when actually trying to use the
interface.

Nevertheless it would be nice to show the "compatibility version"
as for example Joomla does
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/photos-a-images/photo-gallery/6301

or Drupal
http://drupal.org/project/modules?filters=tid%3A122&solrsort=sort_title%20asc

or Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/3702

whereas Firefox extensions do this via a RDF

https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yulup/src/trunk/yulup/src/install.rdf

    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>2.0.0.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

I think we should also try to handle this somehow

Either we could introduce properties within resource.xml where the
revision numbers are
documented or do this somehow dynamically, because as noted above Yanel
can actually
recognize this based on the versioned interfaces.

WDYT?