[Yanel-dev] Getting rid of the major/minor release numbers and only using revision numbers

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Sat Sep 5 13:19:04 CEST 2009

Hi

We try hard to keep Yanel backwards and forwards compatible, whereas

backwards means:
    Old realms and resources also run with new Yanel versions

forwards means:
   New realms and resources (which have been developed with new Yanel
versions) also
  work with old Yanel versions

whereas we cannot guarantee forwards for custom realms and resources,
but I think we should
try for realms and resources delivered together with Yanel at least.

Anyway, what I want to say is, that I think we need releases for two
reasons:

1) Marketing wise
2) B/F compatibility wise

Now I would like to question this paradigma and I think we can.

Re (1) I think we should market each feature (new or improved) instead
of releases (bundling a collection of features).

Re (2) I think we should introduce a compatibility matrix or whatever is
necessary to keep track in case we hit a wall re B/F compatibility.

WDYT?

P.S.: Let's introduce some radical thinking ;-)