[Yanel-dev] [Fwd: [foaf-dev] RDF/RDFa now part of Drupal core]

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Oct 22 23:46:58 CEST 2009

This might be interesting to compare with our efforts using RDF within Yanel

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	[foaf-dev] RDF/RDFa now part of Drupal core
Datum: 	Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:02:53 -0400
Von: 	Stephane Corlosquet <scorlosquet at gmail.com>

<public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf at w3.org>, sioc-dev at googlegroups.com, =

foaf-dev at lists.foaf-project.org

Hi,

After several months of research, coding, sprints and patch reviews, the =

main RDF patch has been committed to Drupal core! (Thanks Dries!) This =

introduces a basic RDF API which maps the Drupal data structure to RDF. =

These mappings are then automatically exported as RDFa throughout the site.

To give you a sneak preview of the code it generates, I've put up a =

Drupal 7 site at http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/ for testing purposes. =

We still have some bugs to fix but the bulk of it is working. I'm hoping =

to get feedback from the RDF community about the RDFa it generates. =

Please try it with your favorite RDFa parser and report any bug you =

encounter. You will find some dummy RDF properties/classes sometimes but =

we'll fix them soon. Note that the RDF mappings are fairly independent =

from the the actual API since the mapping definitions are centralized =

[2] and are not hardcoded in the HTML (hereby allowing exports in other =

RDF serialization formats).

Some examples:
A blog post with comments http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/node/3
Forum page http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/node/4
Static page http://drupalrdf.openspring.net/about

Drupal 7 is still in development phase. The first beta releases should =

come out in the coming months, and the final release in the new year. =

Our priority is to fix all remaining bugs [3] and then agree on the best =

mappings which will come pre-installed in core. I will send more emails =

on specific issues, so if you're interested make sure to subscribe to =

foaf-dev at lists.foaf-project.org =

<mailto:foaf-dev at lists.foaf-project.org>, sioc-dev at googlegroups.com =

<mailto:sioc-dev at googlegroups.com> and public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf at w3.org =

<mailto:public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf at w3.org>.

For those attending ISWC next week, I'll present the research work which =

was used to build RDF in Drupal core, see paper [4]. See you on Tuesday =

afternoon in the Semantic Web In Use Track!

Stephane.

[1] RDF mapping API http://api.drupal.org/api/function/hook_rdf_mapping/7
[2] Open issues =

http://drupal.org/project/issues/search/drupal?status[]=3DOpen&issue_tags=
=3DRDF =

<http://drupal.org/project/issues/search/drupal?status%5B%5D=3DOpen&issue_t=
ags=3DRDF>
[3] Report an issue http://drupal.org/project/issues/drupal
[4] Produce and Consume Linked Data with Drupal! =

http://openspring.net/sites/openspring.net/files/corl-etal-2009iswc.pdf