[Yanel-dev] Enhancing access policies re downward inheritance

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Fri May 15 17:52:32 CEST 2009

Hi!

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Hi
>
> According to
>
> http://www.yanel.org/en/documentation/security/access-policies.html
>
> one can stop inheritance upwards by setting the
> use-inherited-policies="false", but
> there is no attribute which allows access to a node, but stop inheriting
> this access downwards, for example, one
> wants to give access to the node
>
> /foo/bar/index.html
>
> but no access to
>
> /foo/bar/no/access/here.html
>
> whereas this can be required in certain situations (for example in my
> current situation ;-)

Would be nice, but we have to be careful not to slow down access control
calculations too much...
And also do we currently have an "EXPLAIN" feature that, well, explains
why you can or cannot have access to a particular resource? Or maybe we
already do that piecewise in the log messages? Because the calculation
is getting more and more complicated!

Also could these two mechanisms be in conflict?

> hence I would suggest to introduce a property called "bequeath" as follows
>
> /foo/bar/index.html.policy
>
>  <usecase id="view">
>    <group id="wyona" permission="true"/>
>    <group id="customers" permission="true" bequeath="false"/>
>  </usecase>
>
> which means the group "customers" can access the page
> /foo/bar/index.html, but
> this group won't have access to  /foo/bar/no/access/here.html
>
> WDYT?

I had to look up "bequeath" in the dictionary :) so I suggest we use
more pidgin/IT English like:
- "cascade-policy"
- "propagate-policy-downwards"
- "force-policy-on-children"