[Yanel-dev] build.sh -f problem

simon litwan simon.litwan at wyona.com
Sun May 3 21:19:26 CEST 2009

Guillaume Déflache schrieb:
> simon litwan schrieb:
>> hi all
>
> Hi!
>
>> i'm developing a resource type. when i try to use build -f it says
>> build successful, but it did nothing. after adding default="compile"
>> to the resource-types build.xml it works.
>>
>> the file resource-type doesn't have this default="compile" and also
>> doesn't build.
>>
>> do i missunderstand something or is this a bug.
>
> My bad, I guess things you do without explaining them always come back
> to bite you! ;)
>
> The rationale is while refactoring the resource-type builds into
> something generic I wanted to make the default target inherit from the
> imported Ant build file, but this does not seem to be supported (see
> the commented code in
> http://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yanel/trunk/src/build/resource-types/resource-type.build.xml
> at the top).
> Also at the time I was not sure what the most useful target would be,
> and I still ain't: "compile" is nice (all the more now that it also
> installs the Maven artifact only when needed), but I'd rather have
> something that also updates the code in the deployed webapp for example!
this would be nice.

> So that's why I prefered not adding the "compile" target
> systematically when refactoring each resource-type. If anything I'd
> rather do by default what `ant -projecthelp` /`ant -p` does, that is
> listing all available targets.
> Now that I think of it maybe we could do that in yanel.sh/yanel.bat:
> when no target(s) is/are given just run ànt -p` instead?
> WDYT?
not sure about this. but actually i like a default target because it
leads you to what you probably wish (or the developer thought what is
wished, which gives you hint about hoe the developer thinks). if i'm
unsure o9r want to know what the possible targets are i run ant -p.

> Anyway sorry for the inconvenience!
no problem. thanks for your refactoring anyway.

i think the main problem for now is that it says build successful but
did nothing. which is very misleading.

simon