Yanel and Xquery resource-types (was: Re: [Yanel-dev] Re: [Yanel-commits] rev 41848 [...])

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Tue Mar 10 10:40:54 CET 2009

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Guillaume Déflache schrieb:
>> Maybe this should sit under public/yanel/contributions/projects for
>> the moment since this cannot be used as a Yanel resource (yet?).
>
> I was intending to create one today, but wanted to play first a bit with
> Saxon and since I think my results are useful added them to the SVN

That's what I meant, since we don't know what you will have to do
tomorrow, better do as if there was no tomorrow! ;) (Remember to never
increase you "bus factor"!

>> Alos maybe several XQuery-based resources could be defined and as such
>> it might make sense to have to an umbrella project for them, or at
>> least some place to put common tools in.
>
> well, if it's resources, then they could all live within the same
> resource directory using resource-*.xml

Sure, whereas it is not clear to me if this is a feature we really want
to support on the long term.
It is not rarely used in Yanel itself (only in the "user-mgmt" resource
ATM) but Simon told me one of the Wyona projects (naz) heavily uses it.
So it looks like we need to support it anyway now.

I am just wondering if there are assumptions somewhere in Yanel, e.g. in
the build system that would make these resources 2nd-class citizens.

> Re several XQuery-based resources what do you mean exactly? Different

I dunno yet :) but see below.

> implementations? Using something different than Saxon  for example?

Rather that XQuery is a technology, not a API, so there are probably
several use cases/levels where it could be useful: user-friendly
querying (including full-text search inside) collections of XML
documents, XPath queries, and of course providing a full XQuery
all-purpose programmatic access to an XML DB.