[Yanel-dev] Code review with Yanel

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Mon Mar 2 17:42:43 CET 2009

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Dear All

Hi!

> I would like to  introduce tomorrow a staging branch at
>
> https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yanel/branches/staging
>
> whereas we *all* commit into this branch instead into the trunk, which
> is the first rule.
>
> (whereas it comes to my mind that we need to update
> http://yanel.wyona.org/en/development/processes/rtc.html ...)
>
> The second rule is that with "each" commit we add a "review file".
>
> The review file should be an XML and should describe which files belong
> together and which version (in case it wasn't committed atomically).

Why shouldn't it be commited atomically? (Not doing it would make
reviewing the changes harder anyway.)
Where would we store these XML files? We would need to number them,
delete the old ones, and similar bookkeeping, which is a lot of overhead!
I think patches in Bugzilla is less of a burden.

> The third rule is that we need to somehow enforce the review such that
> the review stack never becomes too large
> (for example every morning all reviews need to be examined before any
> further commits)
>
> And so on  and on ...

Here we are: this is all about new rules you want to set, why should
these require new tools?

> I am sure there will be more trouble ahead (for example the rejection of
> a commit), but we need to get started somewhere.

IMHO communicating the principles is a much better solution.
And yes I know I have a bug assigned about writing them, but anybody can
help!

> Any objections?

Well, see above and the "tomorrow-short" delay seems to call for
overreaction! :(