[Yanel-dev] Code review with Yanel

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Sun Mar 1 23:02:26 CET 2009

Dear All

I recently read a lot about  code review system as for example

http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/default.jsp

but there seem to be a lot of flaws with all the existing ones, so it
came to my mind that with Yanel we could actually build one very nicely,
whereas our first implementation could be SVN as the data repository
(obviously ;-)

So here is my suggestion:

- We create code review realm with a code review resource, which allows
to upload/check-in a file just as one would do with SVN
- We develop a repo implementation accessing three SVN branches:
     - trunk (all reviewed code)
     - staging branch (code which has not been reviewed yet, plus of
course the reviewed files which are not changed)
    - workflow branch (for peformance reasons keep this separate)

This setup would have the following advantages:
    - One easily implement new backend repository implementation (for
examle CVS)
    - One has the full information within the backend repository (for
example SVN)
    - One has all the review logic nicely decoupled from the backend
repository

WDYT?