[Yanel-dev] custom access rights manipulation and UI

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Fri Jun 19 13:25:56 CEST 2009

Hi!

One of our customers rightfully pointed out that "read" and/or "write"
rights should be simplified in "read & write" or "read but no write", as
having write rights without read rights really does not make sense in
their context (and for any kind of content management I guess).

However in Yanel rights have no meaning by themselves, only the
applications themselves give one to each kind of right, and we would
like to keep it so.

To change that in a non-confusing and consistent way this has to be done
both at the UI level everywhere R/W rights are visible or get edited:
for Yanel that means changing the "policymanager" resource-type.
To keep it generic we would have to make it extensible.
For the policy viewer, this is relatively simple, as one could easily
add a final XSLT to transform the result.
For the policy editor this is more difficult:
- either we should define some rule mechanism (in what language?) in the
UI to make some calculation on the rights, in our case "set R when W"
- or we could allow the UI itself to be extensible by adding some event
handler at the right place; however this is problematic ATM because of
GWT build process issues, see
http://lists.wyona.org/pipermail/yanel-development/2009-June/003713.html

Any other idea?

Cheers,