[Yanel-dev] Problem building binary version for Windows

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Wed Jan 14 13:54:14 CET 2009

Guillaume Déflache schrieb:
> I have similar problems that are yet again related to path lengths.
> However sadly here trick a is not enough (even using c:\y) and trick b
> does not seems to help as for some reason y: is "resolved" to the real
> path in NSIS (I guess a different FS API is used there).

Well, I probably made a mistake because trick b (using a virtual drive)
indeed also works for NSIS!
I just did `subst X: C:\Documents and
Settings\guillaume\Desktop\yanel-trunk\build\bin-snapshots\wyona-yanel-SNAPSHOT-1.0-dev-r40937-bin-win`
and picked the install script from there but it still is not enough...

> So to fix this we have to shorten paths like
> C:\Y\build\bin-snapshots\wyona-yanel-SNAPSHOT-1.0-dev-r40933-bin-win\apache-tomcat-5.5.20\yanel-webapps\wyona-yanel-webapp-v-1.0-dev-r-40933\realms\javadoc\content\org\wyona\yanel\core\attributes\translatable\DefaultTranslationManager.TranslationSAXHandler.html
> which should not be too hard I guess! ;)

Now we have to shorten
X:\apache-tomcat-5.5.20\yanel-webapps\wyona-yanel-webapp-v-1.0-dev-r-40937\resources\policymanager\build\classes\org\wyona\yanel\impl\resources\policymanager\htdocs\js\accesspolicyeditor\org.wyona.security.gwt.accesspolicyeditor.AccessPolicyEditor-xs.nocache.js
(261 characters) which is getting harder without having to restructure
the directory layout!

And anyway, all of these tricks are not helping much because I guess
users would still be forced to install snapshots under virtual drives or
at drives' root directories for them to work!

> Also path lengths trigger warnings in some JARs where paths are more than 100 characters long, not sure yet why/if this may be a problem.

This might also be a problem for systems not having GNU tar (like
Solaris AFAICS), which can deal with paths longer than 100 characters:
maybe Sun just introduced the same limit for JARs to avoid future
compatibility problems... ;)