[Yanel-dev] Integration of quartz scheduler

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Dec 10 23:17:01 CET 2009

Hi

I have started the integration of the quartz scheduler, which was rather
simple (according to
http://www.quartz-scheduler.org/docs/quick_start_guide.html)

Now the actual design questions arise:

- How do we want to make this scheduler available to the resources?

If we want to keep Yanel itself independent of the actual scheduler
framework (like for example Quartz), then my suggestion would be to
create an interface

interface ScheduableV1 {
    void setScheduler(QuartzScheduler);
    QuartzScheduler getScheduler();
}

because this allows to introduce new scheduler frameworks at some later
stage.

One could argue that there is not much out there than the Quartz
Scheduler and we rather couple it to the realm, which
leads to another design question:

- What about cross-scheduling in between realms?

I could imagine there are case which require something like this, just
as cross-reading/writing of content, but
in most cases I would argue that people don't want to allow to see the
scheduled jobs of other realms.

- The third questions then would be how do we connect access controlling
with scheduling?

I am sure there are more design questions, but let's get started
somewhere and I think the above are some good starting points ;-)