[Yanel-dev] build.properties.version introduced

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Fri Aug 14 10:20:17 CEST 2009

Hi!

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I have introduced a build.properties.version (similar to the version
> number of realms.xml and resource-types.xml), because
> I had very strange problems during startup and the reason was, that my
> local.build.properties didn't have zhe same configuration
> re ambiguous xerces libs and hence I had the wrong xerces and it took me
> quite some time to figure this out.

Why not use Subversion keywords substitution instead to avoid having to
think of maintaining this version number? Cf.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.props.special.keywords.html
We could use build.properties.dateMarker=$Date$ (I changed the name as
it's not only a date) after having done `svn propset svn:keywords "Date"
src/build/build.properties`.
Please note AFAICR it also work as expected on `svn export` like CVS
did, so it should also work for source snapshots.

There is the minor problem that the date marker would change for every
modification, even the non-significant ones, but I think this does not
happen too often in practice for configuration files.

If we go that route maybe it makes sense to also use that for versioning
realms.xml and resource-types.xml: it should be backwards-compatible if
we only compare the dates for equality, which I guess we do.

> So the build process will compare the version numbers of
> local.build.properties and build.properties and if these are different will
> throw an exception and tell people to "synchronize" these two files.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Make sense to me too!

Cheers,