[Yanel-dev] Loading yanel toolbar menus asynchronously

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Tue Apr 28 20:30:44 CEST 2009

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> I have a toolbar sub-menu which does not scale well for whatever reason
> and it is hard to improve, and hence

I guess if the menus are so big that it becomes a performance problem,
they also probably are a usability problem as well, which no
optimisation would solve anyway!
Unless it's a "combinatory explosion" problem, that you have 10 menu
entries, each having 10 menu entries, each of thoise having 10, etc.
(like what probably happens now to a lesser extent in Yanel with the
revisions submenu) Is that it?

> it would nice if one could load specific toolbar menus asynchronously. I
> mean the menu is only actually loaded if
> one clicks on it.
>
> Any idea how we could best implement this? I guess it needs two parts:
>
> - Client side javascript
> - Server side API for retrieving menu content
>
> WDYT?

Makes sense. Might also be the occasion to also think about I18N and
Java API (we would only really need a ReSTy HTTP API for your current
problem) for the menus.