[Yanel-dev] yarep search documentation

simon litwan simon.litwan at wyona.com
Fri Sep 19 14:52:52 CEST 2008

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> simon litwan schrieb:
>> hi all
>>
>> i've added some documentation about search in yarep.
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/yanel-website/en/documentation/yarep/yarepsearch.html
>>

> very cool, thanks very much
>>
>> while documenting i noticed something which i think needs to be
>> improved.
>>
>> i've also added some FIXME:
>> at the moment one can control the indexing in several ways.
>> - configuration auto-indexer
>> - configuration index-fulltext/index-properties
>> - do explicit indexing via Indexer.index(node). (in my opinion this
>> should be possible independently of
>> auto-indexer/index-fulltext/index-properties)
>>
>> now if you configure index-fulltext=false and you index explicit with
>> Indexer.index(node) it will do nothing. (Not even tell you).
>> i think index-fulltext=false only make sense if auto-indexer=true
>
> no, I don't think so, because also the custom indexer might want to
> differentiate between index-fulltext and index-properties
> (auto-indexer=false means that one is quite probably using a custom
> indexer)
i don't think auto-indexer=false means that one is quite probably using
a custom indexer. it just means one want to control indexing in the
pallication rather then automatically.

i very agree that "also the custom indexer might want to differentiate
between index-fulltext and index-properties" i would even say this is
valid for the standard indexer as well.

>> if you want only auto-index properties. but then still if you want to
>> explicit index a node it will do nothing (not even tell you).
>>
>> i would propose to remove auto-indexer element and control
>> auto-indexing with index-fulltext resp. index-properites. this way
>> one can configure auto indexing of nodes AND/OR properties.
>
> that might make sense, but I need to first check the current API to
> state a clear opinion.
i'm still very convinced that this makes sense.

this makes sense:
                         auto-index=true && index-fulltext=true &&
index-properites=true

this makes sense:
                         auto-index=false && index-fulltext=false &&
index-properites=false

this makes NO sense:
                         auto-index=true && index-fulltext=true &&
index-properites=false

this makes NO sense:
                         auto-index=true && index-fulltext=false &&
index-properites=false

i'll try another approach:

if we use index-fulltext as switch to turn on/off auto-indexing-nodes
and use index-properties as switch to turn on/off auto-indexing-properties,
i think one can control everything as before with less configuration.

in other words, i think we can reduce the complexity of configuration by
having the same power.

WDOT?
simon