[Yanel-dev] Realm configuration

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Sep 18 12:15:40 CEST 2008

Alec Bickerton schrieb:
> In order to keep this from invading the other discussion, I'd like to
> suggest a  way to make easier to configure.
>
> 1) Upload or drop the real file into {YANEL_HOME}/realms

Are you refering to the binary?

I think for users getting started that's a great idea, but at the same
we need to provide a
"register realm" functionality, because some realms can have a lot of
data and be located on different partitions
and hence it's not always that easy.

If we talk about the binary location, then it won't work when running it
wihin cluster, whereas one could copy the realm.xml files, but the
actual data would exist only once.

So I think additonally to "register realm" it would be great to have
this :-)
> 2) An ant task would then copy/or link the contents of /lib to /WEB-INF/lib

how could this ant task be triggered?
> 3) Register the realm in realms.xml

ok
> 4) Trigger the new classes to be loaded for the realm to avoid a tomcat
> restart.

yes, that would be nice, but I guess one needs to reconfigure Tomcat, right?
> 4)i)  Would be nicest if done with a realm sensitive class loader
> otherwise conflicts are possible.

yes, that would be great, whereas I have no clue how to do this.
> 4)ii)
> Realm file could be organised.
>   /lib/realm-lib.jar ( With all realm classes )
>   /lib/dependencies
>   /conf/realm.xml
>   /conf/ac/identities/
>   /conf/ac/policies/
>   /conf/res/custom/(resource-types.xml )
>   /conf/res/map/( resource-mappins as in res-configs)
>   /data/search
>   /data/yarup
>   /data/repository

sounds good to me. Maybe we can refactor the from-scratch-realm as a
"best practice" example
> I'm not entirely sure if this is feasible at the moment, I just wanted
> to get some feedback on the general principal.

I think generally that makes a lot of sense. We only have to keep in
mind clustering, multiple realms (and possible naming conflicts).