[Yanel-dev] Building/Compiling resources more efficiently

Alec Bickerton alec.bickerton at wyona.com
Wed Sep 17 12:52:29 CEST 2008

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just as a reminder, but also for discussion:
>
> One can build/compile a resource without having to trigger to whole
> build process by using the -f option, for example
>
> ./build.sh -f
> /home/michi/src/wyona/SOME_CUSTOM_PROJECT/res-types/shared/build.xml
>
> whereas one needs to configure the yanel.source.version within
>
> res-types/shared/src/build/dependencies.xml
>
> by setting for example
>
> <target name="dependencies" description="Dependencies">
>    <property name="yanel.source.version" value="1.0-dev-rREVISION"/>
>
> this makes developing Java classes much faster.
>
> The problem is a bit that one needs to set this property explicitely and
> shouldn't leave it there, because in case Yanel source should
> change this version number, then old libs will be used or one will
> receive a compile error.
>
> In order to solve this I thought about introducing an environment
> variable, for example
>
> export YANEL_SOURCE_HOME=/home/michi/src/wyona/public/yanel/trunk
>
> which would allow the build process to check what Yanel source version is.
>
> WDYT?

Interesting.

How about having a build.xml in the realms root directory that simply
creates a jar against the libs in a Barebones Yanel. then copies this
.jar to the WEB-INF/lib of Yanel.

Say realm-[realm-name]-lib.jar for example

That would be a step towards easily loadable realms and would speed up
development. I personally haven't worked on any Yanel classes as yet,
I'm still getting familiar with it.

Of course when the .jar changes you need to restart Tomcat. Unless we
write a classloader, I don't see any way around that.