[Yanel-dev] [Fwd: Introducing CMIS]

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Sep 10 23:06:23 CEST 2008

FYI:

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	Introducing CMIS
Datum: 	Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:43:52 +0200
Von: 	David Nuescheler <david at day.com>
Antwort an: 	dev at jackrabbit.apache.org
An: 	dev at jackrabbit.apache.org

Today a broad group of document management vendors lead
by IBM, Microsoft and EMC announced their efforts of around a
protocol specification for content management interoperability [1].

I would like to congratulate the group to all their efforts that has
been put into this specification and we look very much forward to
participate actively in the standardization process that hopefully
will be kicked off soon.
I am excited that the ECM/DM market has decided to start supporting
a protocol specification, which was an often discussed gaping
hole in the enterprise content management market[2][3].

Since the protocol functionally matches on a protocol level to
a large subset of what JCR specifies on API level for Java
it is great opportunity for Jackrabbit to expose the CMIS on
top of JCR with very little effort.

This would definitely allow Jackrabbit to be included in an
integrated "Enterprise/Document-centric" setup without compromising
on the flexibility and broader usecases and modelling capabilities
supported by a fully compliant JCR implementation.

On the other hand it would also allow all (non-jackrabbit) JCR
repositories to become CMIS compliant instantly.

I think since the specification is still in the early stages of
development this may very well be subject to change and if I
look back at the early (pre-release) versions of JCR there was a
lot of change.

regards,
david

[1] http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/09/proposed_standa.html