[Yanel-dev] [Fwd: jcr-cmis sandbox]

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Nov 20 23:24:32 CET 2008

FYI:

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	jcr-cmis sandbox
Datum: 	Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:17:11 +0100
Von: 	David Nuescheler <david at day.com>
Antwort an: 	dev at jackrabbit.apache.org
An: 	dev at jackrabbit.apache.org

Hi all,

I am currently working in a technical committee on OASIS defining a
document management interoperability specification called CMIS [1].
CMIS shoots for a protocol level interoperability between applications
and various repository vendors.

The specification is in a very early stage and a lot of things
need to be addressed [2], but it has peeked the interest of a number
of people at Apache already.

Since functionally the CMIS specification is a subset of the
JCR specification it allows a very simple and straight-forward mapping to
a fully compliant JCR repository such as Jackrabbit.

Similar to the existing protocol layers (webdav etc) on top of
JCR that are already part of Jackrabbit, I would like to propose
that we initiate first tests with an implementation in a sandbox
project.

I think that there are going to be a lot of benefits from such
an implementation. First it will allow any JCR implementation
to be CMIS compliant automatically (once the specification
is released ;) ) and allow us to find the issues to be fixed
in the specification itself and drive it into a good direction.
But most importantly it will provide an platform for
interested parties to collaborate in the open on an
implementation.
Most of the organizations on the technical committee of CMIS
are already heavily involved at Apache either as contributors or as
sponsors and are also on the JCR expert group.

Let me know what you think.

regards,
david

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200810/msg00003.html