[Yanel-dev] Re: Rant re Yanel installement

Gary Jones gary.jones at wyona.com
Wed Nov 5 16:36:56 CET 2008

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Alec Bickerton schrieb:
>> highlights some of the issues that work against us.
>>
>> http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2007/04/24/atom-publishing-protocol-setting-up-yanel-on-ubuntu/
>>

> Simon was forwarding this some ago. Quote:
>
> "Setting it up was surprisingly simple, once I worked out what exactly
> needed to be installed. While it's relatively simple, it *isn't* quick.
> The install takes a LONG time, so make sure the machine you're using can
> be left running for a while."
>
> so I think the problem is that he is no Java guy and he used the source
> instead the binary version

That's what I understood, too (he even says in the article this is why
he dislikes Java), but the JAVA_HOME thing caught me the other day as
well. It's something one only does once in a while, when moving to a new
OS or computer, or upgrading Java, and it is easy to forget that you
have to do it manually. As he said, it would be helpful if when one
installed a Java package that it actually did all that was necessary to
actually use that package (this applies to at least the Ubuntu and
Windows Java installs); it's a really basic usability issue IMO.

Should we contact him and ask whether he completed the move to Yanel,
and if not a) is there anything we could do to help, if he is still
interested, and (maybe more importantly for us) b) what stopped him
doing so?

It would definitely be worth pointing out that the initial build process
is slow because it drags down all the dependencies during that process.
I'm not sure whether there is anything we can do to improve that (any
ideas? is it possible to have several dependency downloads running in
parallel, if one has the bandwidth available?) but if it is a pain point
for people then it is something we should look at, IMO, otherwise the
short attention span developers like me might give up before getting
around to trying it out.

--
Gary