[Yanel-dev] problem re-starting Yanel containing a realm with search lock

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Mon May 19 11:30:41 CEST 2008

Josias Thöny wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have recently noticed the following problem
>>
>> 21420 2008-05-19 11:28:24,992 [http-9290-Processor25] ERROR
>> org.wyona.yanel.core.map.RealmManager.readRealms():259  - Error
>> setting up realm [yanel-website]:
>> /home/ulysses/src/realms/yanel-website/realm.xml:
>> java.lang.Exception: Could not configure realm [yanel-website] with
>> config file: /home/ulysses/src/realms/yanel-website/realm.xml:
>> org.wyona.yarep.core.RepositoryException: Could not create
>> repository: yanel-website
>> /home/ulysses/src/realms/yanel-website/config/res-config-repository.xml
>> Could not read repository configuration: Lock obtain timed out:
>> SimpleFSLock@/home/ulysses/src/realms/yanel-website/res-configs-repo/search-index/write.lock
>>
>>        at org.wyona.yanel.core.map.Realm.<init>(Realm.java:104)
>>        at
>> org.wyona.yanel.core.map.RealmManager.readRealms(RealmManager.java:232)
>>        at
>> org.wyona.yanel.core.map.RealmManager.<init>(RealmManager.java:118)
>>        at
>> org.wyona.yanel.core.map.RealmManager.<init>(RealmManager.java:76)
>>        at org.wyona.yanel.core.Yanel.init(Yanel.java:80)
>>        at
>> org.wyona.yanel.servlet.YanelServlet.init(YanelServlet.java:154)
>>

>> I haven't noticed this before. Is it possible that this is some
>> regression of the recent repo changes? That some IndexWriter isn't
>> closed properly?
>

> There was a bug in yanel that it didn't close the res-config
> repository upon shutdown.
> I fixed this on 2008-05-13 16:36:47 (r36537).

thanks

> Then I noticed that other repositories (ac-identities, ac-policies,
> custom repos) are not closed upon shutdown either. I'm not sure how to
> fix this.

well, it would be nice to shutdown these as well, but I think the
problem above isn't really solved by shutting down, but rather that the
IndexWriter needs to be closed every time after the writing has
finished, because in the case of cluster with multiple nodes accessing
the same index we will have a real problem.

Is there any reason that the IndexWriter isn't closed?

> Maybe with a finalize() method of the IdentityManager/PolicyManager?
>
> BTW, why is indexing enabled for the res-config repository of the
> yanel-website realm?

no, it would make sense to disable this.