[Yanel-dev] Some criticism on Jelly

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Tue Mar 11 15:46:00 CET 2008

Evaldas Taroza wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yeah, I agree with most of them. But what's the alternative?

good question and this is why I meant that nobody should take it personal.

Still, as soon as I will have time I will give JRuby a try

> Yanel is evolving quite slowly, the beauty is usually sacrificed for a
> quicker (and dirtier) solutions... like Jelly templates.
>
> Since we have a lot of XML it would be the best to have the XML
> database behind Yarep. Then we could simply write XQuery scripts,
> which I think is difficult to criticize.

to be honest I have no clue about XQuery, but isn't this comparing
oranges with apples?

> eXist, for instance, has the built in cocoon support, which makes it
> already a content management system, where you can have templates,
> pipes of xslt etc.

although I understand that there is a lot of value in this, I am afraid
that we loose abstraction which is more important to me in order to
exchange implementations.

> Evaldas
>
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please do not take the following link personal, but I think there is
>> some truth to
>>
>> http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2004/6/10/jelly-scripting-for-the-soulless
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Michi

Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner at wyona.com, michi at apache.org