[Yanel-dev] Too many open files

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Jul 16 15:07:25 CEST 2008

Hi

We recently experienced the problem that Yanel crashed because there were "Too many open files".

In order to fix this we refactored the YanelServlet and found some InputStreams which weren't closed.

It should be fixed now and it looks good, but in case you are experience something liks this again then you it would be good to dump which files are not closed by typing (on Linux/UNIX)

ps aux|grep tomcat

which should result in something like

michi    15224  1.5  5.8 286036 61088 pts/0    Sl   14:56   0:07 /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/home/michi/src/wyona/public/yanel/trunk/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/conf/lo

and then type

lsof -p PROCESS_ID (for example 15224)

to see all open files by this process.

This will help to debug and fix potential unclosed InputStreams