[Yanel-dev] data and data-paths

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Mon Jan 28 11:28:51 CET 2008

Evaldas Taroza wrote:

> Hi,
> I am creating a node inside the repository programatically. I would
> expect that when I do that, the node with a given name is created,
> however, what I get is:
> 1. a 'node' inside data-paths is created
> 2. inside .yanel-uid this path points to a node with a generated name

yes, this is how the org.wyona.yarep.impl.repo.fs.FileSystemRepository
is working, but please be aware that this is only specific to this
implementation.

You might want to check out other implementations, e.g.

org.wyona.yarep.impl.repo.vfs.VirtualFileSystemRepository

whereas a sample configuration can be found at

https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yarep/trunk/src/test/repository/new-vfs-example

Btw, you can migrate your data from one implementation to the other by using

./build.sh copy-repository -Dcopy.src.repo.id=foo -Dcopy.dest.repo.id=bar

whereas see

https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yarep/trunk/README.txt

> I understand that this is quite handy when you want to move nodes
> around (you only have to change the pointer), but when I need to
> navigate my data it is very difficult to find a specific node.

you mean to debug within the persistent data?

> I think that generating an id for a node should only be done only when
> one tries to insert a node with an existing name.

I am not sure if I understand. You mean like connections of different
data paths with the same data?

> Evaldas

Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner at wyona.com, michi at apache.org